The Benefits of a Magnet High School
The benefits of attending a Goodwin Magnet School
We’ve created an educational community in which each student will thrive in an environment that is inclusive, challenging and inspiring. Unlike many traditional local public schools, we offer unique and diverse learning experiences that combine the best parts of a public school education with the benefits of individualized learning. We empower our students to pursue their passions and encourage them to be thoughtful leaders — both in the classroom and in the community. We offer a theme-based education and hands-on learning approach. These provide a more personalized learning experience, driven by individual interests and talents.
Our magnet high school benefits teens who want a supportive educational environment surrounded by motivated students interested in similar themes. The Connecticut River Academy, provides the opportunity to earn up to 35 transferable college credits while still in high school — all at no tuition cost.
A magnet school education offers several benefits including:
- Flexible and innovative curriculum centered around a unifying theme
- Diverse student body that encourages respect, empathy, and collaboration
- Family and community involvement that instills a passion for learning and growth
- Academic success that prepares students for a lifetime of academic achievement
What is a magnet school?
Magnet schools are public schools of choice, so named because they “attract” students to their specific educational focus or theme. Magnet schools give parents and guardians the opportunity to choose quality programs for their children throughout the state of Connecticut. Magnet schools allow students to focus on specific talents or interests while studying a challenging core curriculum of language arts, mathematics, science, social studies and languages in a diverse environment.
The Department of Education describes a magnet school today as having these characteristics:
- Aims to eliminate or reduce racial or ethnic isolation by bringing together students from a variety of backgrounds
- Focuses on a specific academic theme
- Has no tuition
- Follows same laws and regulations of other public schools
- State certifications required for administrators and staff
Magnet school highlights
- Have helped desegregate public education
- Offer specialized programs that challenge students more
- Level of academic achievement is often greater
- Lower teacher — student ratios and smaller class sizes often offer deeper hands-on learning
- Increases motivation since students are enrolled based on interest not location