Connecticut River Academy
Choosing a magnet school may be exactly the right step for your child — and you. At Connecticut River Academy (CTRA), we believe learning should not be confined to a classroom. We believe your child’s success later in life depends on the choices you make now.
Here’s four benefits of a high school education at CTRA…
Earn college credit while in high school
At Connecticut River Academy (CTRA) your child can get a jump-start on their college career. In addition to a full range of high school courses, students have the opportunity to take classes at Goodwin University and earn more than 35 transferable college credits while still in high school — all at no tuition cost. Students are prepared academically and socially for college — laying an important foundation for future success.
“I loved the early college readiness program. I was able to take over 30 college credits while at CTRA.”
Serena, CTRA graduate
Experience hands-on innovation and technology
At CTRA, science, innovation, and technology are at the forefront of our teaching. Our curriculum challenges students to reach their fullest academic potential and is filled with opportunities for hands-on learning and discovery. Our theme based learning experiences allow students to gain the skillsets needed to advance in the workforce or post-secondary education. CTRA’s sustainability theme encompasses two areas of study: environmental science and advanced manufacturing.
For an in-depth overview of our curriculum and requirements, please download our Program of Studies (PDF).
Join an inclusive community
Your child’s academic career is important but so are their student experiences. We want your child to be excited to come to school every day. Students at Connecticut River Academy are welcomed into an inclusive atmosphere the moment they walk through the doors. Fitting in won’t be a problem. Here, students start fresh, meet new people, and create memories that will last a lifetime.
Learn and grow outside the classroom
Your child has so many opportunities to grow and learn at CTRA. With after-school advanced enrichment programs, clubs, and athletics programs, your child will become a well-rounded individual, ready to hit the ground running once they graduate. Students even have the opportunity to intern while in high school, which prepares them for real world experiences.
“Our goal is to graduate scholars who will think critically and communicate clearly about scientific, technical, interpersonal, societal, and global issues from multiple disciplinary perspectives.”
JT Foster, interim PRINCIPAL
As a magnet school, CTRA offers several benefits including:
- Academic success that prepares students for a lifetime of achievement
- Diverse student body that encourages respect, empathy and collaboration
- Family and community involvement that instills a passion for learning and growth
- Flexible and innovative curriculum centered around a unifying theme
- Early College model with opportunities to earn more than 35 tuition-free, transferable college credits while still in high school
- Sustainability theme with a focus on the Connecticut River watershed area
- Hands-on learning including engineering and advanced technologies
- State-of-the-art technology including collegiate level science labs and laptop computers for every student
- Internship opportunities with high-tech corporations including advanced science and technology experiences
- Extended day for advanced enrichment, academic, and social supports
- Accredited by New England Association of Schools and Colleges, Inc. (NEASC)
- Named a National Magnet School of Excellence
Magnet school transportation
We believe that everyone should have access to a great education. That’s why we make transportation to and from our magnet schools as convenient as possible. Learn about your transportation options now.
"At CTRA, you don't get lost in the crowd. Teachers know students' names; they get to know your background and know you personally. The teachers are always there for you, you feel comfortable going to them, and that connection is special."
Morgan, CTRA Graduate
Interested in CTRA?
Virtual Info Sessions
Applying for the 2021-2022 School Year:
RSCO will be accepting applications for the 2021-22 school year from December 1, 2020 through February 28, 2021.
Applying? Select us as FIRST choice:
At CTRA we typically have 130 -140 seats available each lottery season. Most seats available are in our incoming grade 9 class. To increase your chances of getting into CTRA, select us as first choice!