Connecticut River Academy
Choosing a magnet school may be exactly the right step for your child — and you. At Connecticut River Academy (CTRA), we believe learning should not be confined to a classroom. We believe your child’s success later in life depends on the choices you make now.
Here’s four benefits of a high school education at CTRA…
Earn college credit while in high school
At Connecticut River Academy (CTRA) your child can get a jump-start on their college career. In addition to a full range of high school courses, students have the opportunity to take classes at Goodwin University and earn up to 35 transferable college credits while still in high school — all at no tuition cost. Students are prepared academically and socially for college — laying an important foundation for future success.
“I loved the early college readiness program. I was able to take over 30 college credits while at CTRA.”
Serena, CTRA graduate
Experience hands-on innovation and technology
At CTRA, science, innovation, and technology are at the forefront of our teaching. Our curriculum challenges students to reach their fullest academic potential and is filled with opportunities for hands-on learning and discovery. Our theme based learning experiences allow students to gain the skillsets needed to advance in the workforce or post-secondary education. CTRA’s sustainability theme encompasses two areas of study: environmental science and advanced manufacturing.
For an in-depth overview of our curriculum and requirements, please download our Program of Studies (PDF).
Join an inclusive community
Your child’s academic career is important but so are their student experiences. We want your child to be excited to come to school every day. Students at Connecticut River Academy are welcomed into an inclusive atmosphere the moment they walk through the doors. Fitting in won’t be a problem. Here, students start fresh, meet new people, and create memories that will last a lifetime.
Learn and grow outside the classroom
Your child has so many opportunities to grow and learn at CTRA. With after-school advanced enrichment programs, clubs, and athletics programs, your child will become a well-rounded individual, ready to hit the ground running once they graduate. Students even have the opportunity to intern while in high school, which prepares them for real world experiences.
“I believe that meeting NEASC’s rigorous standards for accreditation is one more way for us to let our families know that their children are receiving the high-quality education they deserve.”
tARA AMATRUDO, CTRA PRINCIPAL
As a magnet school, CTRA offers several benefits including:
- Academic success that prepares students for a lifetime of achievement
- Diverse student body that encourages respect, empathy and collaboration
- Family and community involvement that instills a passion for learning and growth
- Flexible and innovative curriculum centered around a unifying theme
- Early College model with opportunities to earn 35 tuition-free, transferable college credits while still in high school
- Sustainability theme with a focus on the Connecticut River watershed area
- Hands-on learning including engineering and advanced technologies
- State-of-the-art technology including collegiate level science labs and laptop computers for every student
- Internship opportunities with high-tech corporations including advanced science and technology experiences
- Extended day for advanced enrichment, academic, and social supports
- Accredited by New England Association of Schools and Colleges, Inc. (NEASC)
- Named a National Magnet School of Excellence
Magnet school transportation
We believe that everyone should have access to a great education. That’s why we make transportation to and from our magnet schools as convenient as possible. Learn about your transportation options now.
Join us for an Open House
All of our Open House events have passed for the 2020-2021 school year. We're here to answer any questions you may have. Please do not hesitate to reach out: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The RSCO School Choice Application period has closed for the 2020-2021 School Year.